Monday, January 7, 2013

Homemade Vietnamese Phó

We love phó....so I decided to take the challenge and make some homemade. The task seemed daunting to me because first I've had this in restaurants and it seems like something that can't be hurried AND my biggest critic/phó liver is my husband....ahhhhh is what my brain was doing. So I decided lets do it I can do it. Having gone to culinary school and have eaten phó I knew the flavors and also some basics. So here is my recipe...Enjoy!!!


Ingredients:
10 cups rich beef stock
5 limes
2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
1 package (13 ounce size) Thai Rice sticks
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
6 green onions
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 pound beef sirloin
2 jalapenos
OR
Sriracha or other Asian chili sauce

Directions:
Bring beef stock to a boil in a large stock pot with the juice of 3 of the limes, and fish sauce. Let stock boil for 15 minutes.

In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook rice sticks according to package directions. Drain rice sticks. While noodles are cooking and stock is heating, prep the condiments. Slice green onions on a long diagonal. Roughly chop cilantro. Slice beef into a thin a slice as possible with a very sharp knife. Slice remaining limes and arrange next to basil on serving platter. Thinly slice chilies and arrange in bowls. I served all sides in bowls.

When noodles are cooked and drained, divide among six bowls. On top of noodles, divide evenly the bean sprouts, sliced green onions and cilantro. Top herbs with rare beef divided evenly between bowls. Ladle hot stock over each bowl of noodles and beef. You should see beef cook with addition of stock. Serve immediately.

Allow each person to season bowl to taste with additional lime juice, basil, sliced chilies, fish sauce and chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment