Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fried Chicken

Ever since my New Years Eve in New Orleans and my heavenly experience at Willie Mae's Scotch House where angels delivered me some of the best fried chicken ever....I have been on a mission to make my chicken at least taste a fraction like theirs. 


When I first tasted that chicken I knew that what was setting this chicken apart was 1. the crust and 2. the seasongs!!! 


The crust....it wasn't breaded it was more like a shell, a crunchy, well seasoned thin shell. I knew when I first bit into it that it was a dry batter but wet. It was a smooth crunch. 


The seasonings....it was all the way to the bone, which to me meant it was brined or marinated in something for hours. 


So here it is my FIRST, yes FIRST attempt at working my way to the BEST FRIED CHICKEN EVER!!!!! Eat on....and ENJOY!!



Ingredients:

Chicken Wings

Brining Mix:

  • 1 qt MEXICAN COKE(I tried our coke just wasn't the same, must be the different sugar difference)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp Franks Red Hot sauce
  • 3 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 3 tbsp kosher salt

Batter:

  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup peanut oil

Dry Mix:

  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp tony chacheres 
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 1/2 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse chicken, drain, and set aside. Mix together brining mix.Place chicken in brine in a large covered bowl and marinate, refrigerated, overnight.

Sift together the dry mix.

Whisk egg until pale yellow in a stainless-steel bowl and add peanut oil and 21/2 cups water. Add in dry mix, whisking slowly so batter doesn't clump.

Fill frying vessel (I used deep fryer) halfway or to manufactures directions with oil. Bring temperature to 350 degrees. (Use thermometer.) While oil is heating, remove chicken from brine and place in a colander in sink. Once chicken has drained, pat dry with paper towels.

Dip chicken in batter and place in hot oil slowly. Adjust heat, you want it back up to just 350 degrees. Turn chicken regularly to prevent burning. After 8 or 9 minutes, or until juices run clear. 

And ENJOY!!!

*adapted from: www.esquire.com



No comments:

Post a Comment